WELCOME: Welcome first-timer Kids. Invite everyone to share their name and what they’re excited for at Christmas?
We’re starting a new series about the people who knew Jesus, to see what we can learn about knowing Jesus.
Today we’re learning about Mary the Mother of Jesus. There were a few different Mary’s in the bible (we will learn about Mary Magdalene later) but today we’re going to learn about Mary
READ: Luke 1:26-38
26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[b] the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.”
38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.
- Who was Mary and how did she meet Jesus?
- How do you think Mary felt when she saw the angel?
- What did the angel tell Mary about when and how she would meet Jesus?
- What did Mary say in response to the angel?
- Did Mary have a lot of faith?
- Do you trust Jesus like Mary trusted the angel?
- How can you practice trusting Jesus?
PRAY: Invite the children to pray, asking God to help them trust in Him.
OPTIONAL OTHER ACTIVITIES:
- Dress the Baby: Ask for 2 volunteers. Give each volunteer a baby doll and set of clothes (including a nappy). On your signal, they must race to dress the baby.
2. Write a Song of Praise: Luke 1 records Mary singing a song of praise. In small groups ask the children to write and then perform songs of praise.